Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Initiation!

Since my initiation is tonight, I figured I'd share some thoughts I have on it.  When coming to OSU, I never thought about joining a sorority.  I figured I'd just be the average college student who easily finds a group of friends where they live and in classes and stick with them through college.  I really thought that I would naturally fit in-- I mean how could I not when there are 50,000 students here??  But, as it turns out, I started to feel really alone.  I had made a few friends, but none that seemed to really share my values or interests. There was no one here that I could go to when I was having a bad day or just wanted to talk.  I started thinking that OSU was too big for me, that I was too ambitious in coming here and that I should just admit defeat and go home, transfer to a community college there, and live at home.  Then my mom told me about formal recruitment.  She told me she was Greek in college and that she loved it. I decided that I didn't have anything to lose, so I thrust myself into this really huge group of girls that all wanted the same thing I did, more or less.  It was so overwhelming, but surprisingly organized.  When Bid Day finally came around, I was so nervous that I'd get a call that no one wanted me and I'd be stuck right back where I was before.  But that didn't happen.  I got my bid from DZ, my first choice!  I was so happy!  But I was still very confused.  None of the girls I had met through recruitment got bids for DZ, so alone I walked down to the entrance of the Union and saw the letters.  When we got back to the house, we got hoodies and took a bunch of pictures and I finally met all of my pledge class.  Since then, life has gotten so much better.  I have finally found girls that share my values and interests, people I can talk to no matter what.  I found what I was missing all along.  It seems like it's been a while since that day, but it really hasn't.  I've learned so much about DZ and about myself through becoming a new member.  I've gotten to know so many awesome people, and had so many adventures and fun times with them.  I feel so excited to finally be able to call the girls of Delta Zeta Theta Chaper my sisters.  I never knew what sisterhood was until I joined DZ, and I'm sure I will continue to learn what it means throughout my years as a DZ.  I am not really nervous about initiation, just more excited than anything.  I'm actually wondering what will change, if anything.  I won't be babied anymore, I'll have to get all the information I need on my own instead of having my wonderful Big (Caroline!) email it all to me.  I think that'll be okay though.  I'm really excited and interested to see what the ritual will be like.  I just read that article on ritual.  It was a little confusing but I feel like it's a very important part of being Greek.  I feel like it binds me and my sisters together.  I think it will signify me sort of "crossing over" to the Greek world here.  So, needless to say, DZ has a very special place in my heart and I am so proud that I get to become a part of it today.  It has changed my life for the better. <3 :)

1 comment:

  1. I agree with what you were saying toward the end. At least from a fraternal aspect. It's interesting to think about how things change when you get initiated. For myself, I felt like I finally became a part of something I had so long worked so hard to get too. But i guess sometimes that's different for sororities. If you love it now, you'll only love it more afterward.

    ReplyDelete